The Power of Now
Book Author – Eckhart Tolle
Book Publication Date – 1997 (First Edition); January 1, 2004 (Republished)
Book Publisher – Namaste Publishing (First Edition); Hodder & Stoughton
Print Length – 236 pages
“Much more than simple principles and platitudes, The Power of Now takes readers on an inspiring spiritual journey to find their true and deepest self and reach the ultimate in personal growth and spirituality: the discovery of truth and light. In the first chapter, Tolle introduces readers to enlightenment and its natural enemy, the mind. He awakens readers to their role as a creator of pain and shows them how to have a pain-free identity by living fully in the present. The journey is thrilling, and along the way, the author shows how to connect to the indestructible essence of our Being, “the eternal, ever-present One Life beyond the myriad forms of life that are subject to birth and death.” Only after regaining awareness of Being, liberated from Mind and intensely in the Now, is there Enlightenment.”
- What is my biggest takeaway from “The Power of Now?”
- What is my current relationship to the present moment? Is it hard for me to focus or calm my mind?
- When have I experienced the fullness of the present moment? (ex. physical exercise, new experiences, meditation, conversation, etc.)
- How can I make connecting to the present moment a priority?
- What are my biggest takeaways from the section on “Enlightened Relationships?”
- In what ways can I bring more presence and spiritual intention in my relationships?
- In what areas of my life do I need to practice the art of acceptance and surrender?
- In what ways can I choose to be more empowered in my life?
- How will I feel when I deepen my relationship and presence to the now?
- “The Power of Now” Full Audiobook (7.37.57)
- ““The Power of Now” Animated Book Summary (16.48)
- “Decoding The Power of Now” Eckhart Tolle Video (17.52)
- “The Power of Now” Animated Book Summary (5.55)
- “Eckhart Tolle ‘Surrender’ Excerpt from “The Power of Now” Video (23.23)
- “The Time is Always Now – Eckhart Tolle Teachings” Video (13.23)
- “Eckhart Tolle and Oprah Winfrey: First Talk! (Full Version 2007) Video (1.26.27)
- “Eckhart Tolle’s Advice that Oprah says ‘Eliminated All Stress in Her Life” Video (2.21)
- “Oprah & Eckhart Tolle – Living in the Present Moment” Video (5.25)
- Commit to a daily presence practice (ex. meditation, yoga, or another peaceful practice)
- Cultivate awareness in daily activities (aka get out of “autopilot” mode)
- When emotionally triggered, practice Jon Kabat-Zinn’s mindfulness skill “STOP” acronym
- S = Stop whatever you are doing, just pause momentarily.
- T = Take a breath. Re-connect with your breath. The breath is an anchor to the present moment.
- O = Observe. Notice what is happening inside you and outside of you. Where has your mind gone? What do you feel? What are you doing?
- P = Proceed. Continue doing what you were doing. Or don’t. Use the information gained during this check-in to change course. Whatever you do, do it mindfully.”
- Watch the videos found in the Learning Resources section above and continue to engage with this material.
Do Something Right Away to Increase Peace
Give a gift of money to support Peace Through Action’s mission delivery activities, including our Peaceful Readers Book Club
Choose opportunities to take part in our #PeaceBeginsWithWe campaign